For contact lenses in Phoenix, come down to our vision center to check our large variety of prescription contact lenses and custom color contacts. Below are some of the many options we have available:
Rigid Gas-Permeable Contact Lenses
What are Rigid Gas-Permeable contact lenses?
RGP contact lenses allow oxygen to pass through to the surface of your eye. They provide good vision correction, especially if you have astigmatism or irregular shaped eyes. They are easy to use and last longer than soft contact lenses.
Hygiene and Eye Health
Always thoroughly wash and dry your hands before touching your eye or the lenses. There is a small increased risk of developing eye infections with any contact lenses. Check your eyes daily and discontinue wearing lenses that are not comfortable or if you have unusual pain or redness.
Inserting your RGP lenses:
- Check that the lens is not damaged.
- Always start with the right lens.
- Rinse the lens with the recommended solution.
- Smear a small drop of wetting solution on both sides of the lens.
- Place the lens on the tip of one finger while using another finger to hold down your bottom lid.
- Use a finger from your other hand to hold your upper lip apart.
- Look straight ahead and gently place the lens on the center of your eye, directly on your pupil.
- If the lens slips off center to the white of your eye, pull the edge of your eyelid to the far side of the lens and gently move it back to center.
Removing your RGP lenses:
- Remove your lenses in an area where you will be able to find them easily if they are dropped. Do not remove them over a sink without the drain plug in.
- Open your eyes wide.
- Place one finger at the outer corner of your eye and stretch your eyelids tight, then blink.
- Catch your lens as it drops off, or let it drop onto a cloth or towel you have positioned.
Cleaning and disinfecting your RGP lenses:
- Clean your lenses every time you take them out.
- Apply the recommended cleaning solution to both sides of the lens and gently rub them between your fingers or in the palm of your hand.
- Rinse with recommended solution.
- Place your lenses in the storage case and completely cover them with the storage solution.
- Clean your case weekly using fresh storage solution and allow to air dry.
Contact Lens Tips:
- Wash and dry your hands thoroughly before handling your lenses.
- Replace your contact case regularly to reduce risk of infection.
- Apply makeup after putting on your lenses and remove your lenses before removing makeup.
- Do not use tap water to clean your lenses. This could lead to serious eye problems.
- Do not wear your lenses longer than the time prescribed.
- Do not bathe or swim in your contact lenses.
- Do not continue wearing your lenses if you experience signs of redness, pain or loss of vision.
RGP Contact Lens video